Pavement Markings: Rumble Strips
Rumble strips are patterned sections of rough pavement or topical applications of raised material, which when driven over cause vibration and noise in a vehicle. This treatment is intended to direct the attention of the motorist back to the roadway.
- Rumble strips may be used to heighten motorists' awareness of certain conditions like a stop sign, curve or speed limit change
- Rumble strips are noisy and may be annoying to nearby residents
- Accident history that would support the installation of rumble strips
- Streets that have a documented speeding problem
- Adjacent property owners must agree to installation