Pavement Markings: Stop Lines (Stop Bars)
Stop lines, also called stop bars, are 24 inch-wide, solid white lines extending across all lanes in one direction to indicate where to stop.
- Provides motorists with an additional visual reminder to stop or yield
- Gives guidance on where to stop before entering the intersection
- Markings require continuous maintenance
- Not as effective when markings are faded
- Poor sight distance from a stop or yield-controlled approach to an intersection
- Accident trend that may be corrected by marking stop lines