Purpose of Evaluation
This event is designed to simulate the critical task of searching for a fire victim with limited visibility in an unpredictable area. This event challenges the candidate's aerobic capacity, upper body muscular strength and endurance, agility, balance, anaerobic endurance, and kinesthetic awareness. This event affects the aerobic and anaerobic energy systems as well as the following muscle groups: muscles of the chest, shoulder, triceps, quadriceps, abdominals, and lower back.
- Search Maze.
- Mannequin harness.
- During this event, the candidate crawls on hands and knees through a tunnel maze that is approximately 3 feet (91.44 cm) high, 4 feet (121.92 cm) wide and 64 feet (19.51m) in length with two 90° turns.
- At a number of locations in the tunnel, the candidate navigates around, over and under obstacles. In addition, at two locations, the candidate crawls through a narrowed space where the dimensions of the tunnel are reduced.
- The candidate's movement is monitored through the maze. If for any reason, the candidate chooses to end the event, the candidate calls out or raps sharply on the wall or ceiling and the candidate is then assisted out.
- Upon exiting the maze, the event is concluded.
- The candidate walks 85 feet (25.91 m) within the established walkway to the next event.
- The candidate's request for assistance, requiring the opening of the escape hatch or opening of the entrance/exit covers, constitutes a failure, the test time is concluded and the candidate fails the test.