Permits, Certificates of Occupancy, and Licenses Team

For Questions, please contact, (210) 207-1111, Option 0, or email


Quick Links:

Applications for Permits:

Building Permit - Residential

Cancel Permit

Certificate of Occupancy

Commercial Construction

Escrow Account


Electrical Service - Temporary

General Repair - Residential

Foundation Repair - Residential

Manufactured Home Installation

Manufactured Home Repair


Mechanical Permit - Limited Service & Repair

Plumbing, Gas & Sewer


Sidewalk, Curb

Site Work - Commercial and Residential

Tree Affidavit



License - Demolition Contractors

License - Sidewalk Curb

Registration - Electrical Maintenance Technician

Registration - Home Improvement Contractor

Registration - Residential Building Contractor

Registration - State Master Plumbing

Registration - State Mechanical



Board of Adjustment Variance Application

Request for Address Change on Permit

Request for Refund

Request to Link Child Permit to Parent

Our team can assist homeowners and licensed contractors obtain the proper permits for their project. If your property is within the City of San Antonio and you are erecting, constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, improving, removing, converting, moving, demolishing any building or structure or a portion within the structure, you are required to obtain City of San Antonio permits.

Specific examples of when permits are required are:  room additions, walls, carports, decks, patios, in-ground & above-ground swimming pools, fences, re-roofs, foundation repairs, and general repairs to include siding, doors, and windows.

For all projects proposing additional square footage, a site plan (showing entire lot, existing residence on lot, proposed construction, and distances to all property lines), an estimated construction value (to include cost of materials and labor), and an Energy Report (total number of windows and sizes, doors, and walls) will be required.

Permits for new home construction, additions, structural work on existing homes and new accessory dwellings over 400 sq. ft. can only be issued to the homeowner or a contractor who has registered with the City as a Residential Building Contractor.

If a homeowner seeks permits for new home construction, they will be required to sign a notarized affidavit stating they will reside in the home at least one year after completion of construction.

Permits for non-structural remodels and repairs and accessory dwellings 400 sq. ft and smaller can be issued to the homeowner or contractors who have registered with the City as a Home Improvement Contractor.

Homeowner's may also obtain plumbing permits for their existing residence, provided that it is their homestead and that the work will be installed personally without the assistance of any person or persons. Our staff will verify ownership with the Bexar Appraisal District.

It is important to get these permits so City inspectors can verify the work was done correctly in order to protect you, your family, and your guests.  In addition, if you are found working without the required permit, you will be fined and required to purchase a permit at twice the cost.

Home improvements that do not require a permit include:

  • Buildings less than 120 sq. ft.

  • Sidewalks and driveways on your property

  • Retaining walls less than four feet

  • Swings & playground equipment

  • Painting, papering and tiling

  • Carpeting, cabinets, and countertops

Although these projects do not require a permit, you may have restrictions on the design and materials used based on the district you live in, such as a historical district.

Every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the time the work is commenced.

If you would like to verify if your contractor is registered with the City of San Antonio, contact us at (210) 207-1111 option 0. Or you may also email us at and you will receive a response from our staff.

Depending on the extent of the work, you may be required to obtain one or more of the following permits:

  • Buildings less than 120 sq. ft.

  • Mechanical (heating/air conditioning)

  • Electrical

  • Plumbing (to include gas & sewer)

  • Concrete (sidewalk, curbs, drive approaches in public right of way).

Also, any properties in the following districts may require additional approval:

Licensed Contractors
State Licenses - the City of San Antonio requires all State contractors (Builders, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, and Irrigators) to register their license with Development Services in order to obtain permits within our jurisdiction. Some of these licenses are required to provide Certificate of Liability Insurance and/or a Bond.  Theses types of licenses are required to pay an annual registration fee with the City.
City Licenses - The City of San Antonio also issues and/or renews municipal licenses and registrations to include the following: Residential Builder, Home Improvement, Sidewalk & Curb, Mechanical, Sign, and Electrical. These types of licenses and registrations pay a renewal fee either annually or bi-annually with the City.
First time Contractors doing work in the City of San Antonio will need to apply in person at our main office. Those contractors wishing to submit a current copy of their Certificate of Insurance should email it to us at or by faxing it to (210) 207-0102. Please note that all original bonds must be turned in at the main office.
If you choose a contractor to do work at your residence, please contact our office to verify if they are licensed or registered with the City of San Antonio and to also see if they have obtained the proper permits for their jobs
The Chief Inspectors are also available to answer any questions you may have about a particular contractor that may have done work for you or are proposing to do work at your residence.

Business | City Services | Departments | Government | Residents | Recreation
Home | Privacy Policy and Disclaimer

Website best viewed using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0
with screen resolution settings of 800x600.