CONTACT: Joe Arrington – SAFD PIO
O: 210-207-4926 C: 210-355-8504
SAN ANTONIO (October 27, 2017)- With colder temperatures expected this weekend, the SAFD would like to remind everyone about heating their homes safely!
Home Heating Safety
Stay Warm & Stay Safe!
• Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
• Have a three-foot “safe-zone” around open fires and space heaters.
• NEVER use your stove / oven to heat your home!
• Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
• Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
• Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
• Test smoke alarms at least once a month.