CONTACT: Krystal Jones, Department of Arts & Culture/San Antonio Film Commission
Carol Schliesinger, Department of Arts & Culture
SAN ANTONIO (June 26, 2019) – The San Antonio Film Commission, a division of the City of San Antonio’s Department of Arts & Culture, will screen the winning films of the #FilmSA Contest at Mission Marquee Plaza this Friday, June 28 at dusk. The contest for filmmakers between 14 and 21 years of age focuses on the theme “If I Had One Day in World Heritage San Antonio.”
The Film Commission, in collaboration with the City of San Antonio’s World Heritage Office, organized the #FilmSA Contest.
“I am thrilled to see these films embody the culture, history and heritage of our city,” said Department of Arts & Culture Director Debbie Racca-Sittre. “What’s even more encouraging is that the filmmakers behind these projects are young generations who are the future keepers of this heritage.”
Participants submitted their films among two age groups, 14 to 17-years old and 18 to 21-years old. An evaluation panel reviewed submissions and selected the following winners:
- John Marshall High School’s Zachary Goodwin (14 – 17 age group winner) – John’s video details San Antonio’s history and culture and how they make the city a unique place for multi-media journalists to work. The friendly atmosphere and historical riches make San Antonio a World Heritage destination.
- Grace Goen (18 – 21 age group winner) – Grace’s entry highlights the amenities people can find along the River Walk, including five 16th century missions, four of which are working churches, museums, the Pearl and other destinations. All these locations are weaved together by the San Antonio River.
A panel of industry professionals judged the film entries based on the following criteria established by the international competition:
- Quality of the production (20%)
- Processing of the content (40%)
- Originality and creativity (40%)
The contest seeks to help youth acquire better knowledge and appreciation of and sense of pride in our world heritage. More information about the #FilmSA contest and the winners can be found at http://www.filmsanantonio.com/News-Events/Film-Contests.