For members of the media, please contact:
Laura Mayes, City of San Antonio (210) 207-1337
Michelle Vigil, City of San Antonio (210) 207-8172
For questions from the general public, please contact:
COVID-19 Hotline (210) 207-5779
INFORMATION CURRENT AS OF 7:00PM
SAN ANTONIO (March 20, 2020) — The City of San Antonio and Bexar County continue to work together to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community, while providing vital services and resources to the public.
About COVID-19 test results reporting:
The City of San Antonio is now posting COVID-19 case updates at noon daily on www.sanantonio.gov/covid19. Metro Health’s lab processes tests for 29 counties and only Bexar County cases remain in the City’s total. As of today, there are 29 positive COVID-19 cases. Yesterday, the Metro Health lab reported 29 positive cases. As a result of contact tracing, three cases were identified to be non- Bexar County residents and were removed from the total count. Last night, the Metro Health lab processed 69 tests and reported one positive case in that test batch. The Health Department also received two additional positive cases from a private lab. That brings the total number of COVID-19 cases in Bexar County to 29. Of those cases, 13 are travel-related, four are close contacts of previously diagnosed cases, eight were community transmission and four are under investigation. We will report the next batch of test results at noon tomorrow.
City of San Antonio service delivery and schedules:
- All libraries are closed through April 19
- All senior centers will be closed to the public until April 19
- Meals to seniors will be available for pick up or delivered by the City
- Pre-K 4 SA centers are closed through April 3
- Head Start centers located at SAISD school district are closed through April 3
- Municipal Court has postponed all March juvenile court mediations and all campus-based truancy forums and all jury trials have been suspended through April 23
- Municipal Court is closed through April 6
- Café College is closed through April 19
- City owned and operated VITA sites are closed through April 19. For drop off options please call 211.
- City owned galleries and museums are closed through April 19
- Spanish Governors Palace and Mission Marquee Plaza will remain closed until April 18
- The Mission Marquee Plaza Farmers & Artisans Markets scheduled for March 21 and April 18 are canceled at this time.
The following changes will go into effect on Monday, March 23:
- Parking Permit Desk at Center City Development Office is closed through April 19
- Vital Records Office of the City Clerk is closed through April 19th. Appointment only functions will continue or by mail.
- Bid submissions will only be accepted electronically through April 19
- The Development Services Department (DSD) and Historic Preservation will close the public counter at One Stop Building through April 19. DSD staff will be available outside the front doors for drop-off and pick-up of project plans, applications and required documents.
- Immunization Clinics are closed through April 19
- WIC Clinics are closed through April 19. Curbside delivery and appointment only functions will continue.
- Parks and Recreation indoor facilities including community and adult/senior centers, clubhouses, and gyms are closed until further notice. All programming and classes are suspended.
- Parks reservations counter at Ron Darner Headquarters will close to the public through April 19
- Finance will close the cashiering station on the 4 Floor of Riverview Tower through April 19. Payment will be accepted electronically. Low bid opening will be conducted on phone and online.
- Human Resources will close the application assistance counter through April 19
- Utility assistance office will close through April 19. Online and phone requests will be available.
- The risk mitigation fund desk will close through April 19th. Online and phone requests will be available.
- The desk at SAPD to request police reports will close through April 19th. Online and phone requests will be available.
- The SAPD Department ID/fingerprint office by appointment only.
- The SAPD impound vehicle lot will be open by appointment only.
- The SAPD property room will open by appointment only.
- The Public Works desk will close through April 19. Online and phone requests are available.
- The Public Access studio will close through April 19
Resources for the food and beverage industry
Visit San Antonio has created a web page that highlights restaurants providing alternative dining options such as take-out, delivery, and drive-thru services. Restaurant owners wishing to add their restaurant on the list can email email@example.com with:
- Business name
- Physical address
- Phone number
Disaster Relief Initiatives for food and beverage industry
Solid Waste Management encourages residents to recycle
The dedicated employees of Solid Waste continue to serve San Antonio during the ongoing COVID-19 response with no interruptions to service. Because more people are staying home, there’s more material to collect. Please keep using your blue and green carts correctly, and never for trash overflow. You can always call 311 for an out-of-cycle pickup. ($10/limit 3)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The 2020 income tax deadline for filing and making payments has been moved from April 15 to July 15 amid the coronavirus pandemic. All taxpayers and businesses will have this additional time to file and make payments without interest or penalties.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) free tax preparation program in San Antonio is currently operating five drop-off locations for residents to bring tax documents. VITA staff will prepare tax returns within 72 hours, and then contact the resident for an appointment to return to the location, review the tax return, and sign it for electronic transmission to the IRS. This drop-off option includes curbside service to minimize congregating or physical contact.
The “Virtual VITA” drop-off locations and hours through April 15 are as follows:
- Willie Velasquez Center, 1302 N. Zarzamora, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Claude Black Community Center, 2805 E. Commerce, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Presa Community Center, 3721 S. Presa, Monday to Thursday, 1 to 7 p.m. ; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- The Neighborhood Place, 3014 Rivas St., Monday to Thursday, 12 to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Guadalupe Community Center, 1801 W. Cesar Chavez Blvd., Monday to Thursday, 1 to 7 p.m.; Friday, 12 to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
From April 16 to July 15, the Virtual VITA drop off service will be reduced to service at two locations: The Willie Velasquez Center and The Guadalupe Community Center, which are San Antonio’s two year-round VITA taxpayer assistance centers.
Animal Care Services hosts free adoptions
Animal Care Services has teamed up with the Cathy Kangas Foundation for Animals and PRAI Beauty for fee-waived adoptions this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Free the Shelters will offer free adoptions and fostering incentives on hundreds of pets in need in hopes the community can empty the Animal Care Services kennels. In support of social distancing guidelines, ACS has implemented “kennel-side service” for Free the Shelters featuring:
- guided meet and greets
- shorter lines
- open air adoption processing
ACS is located at 4710 State Highway 151. Shelter hours run 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. this weekend. Online adoption and foster applications can be found at www.saacs.net.
Bexar County Executive Order
Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff issued an executive order effective 11:59 PM on March 19th. The order reduces public gatherings to 10 people or less, suspends evictions for rental property owners for the next 30 days, suspends foreclosure proceedings for the next 30 days, and addresses price gouging including penalties. The full order is attached.
FOUR WAYS TO SIGN UP FOR COVID-19 ALERTS
- Download the Ready South Texas app, available in the iTunes and Google Play stores
- Text COSAGOV to 55000 to receive SMS text message updates
- Follow @COSAGOV on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Bookmark www.SanAntonio.gov
Public service announcements on social distancing, prevention and testing are available here.