CONTACT: Bruce Davidson, 210-207-8998
Zack Lyke 210-207-8448
SAN ANTONIO (April 15, 2021) — City Council today authorized an amended lease agreement with the Texas General Land Office that paves the way for a revised Alamo plan.
“The Alamo is hallowed ground. The site should pay proper respect to the fallen, tell the story of the battle of the Alamo as well as the full history of the mission and remain public space for all San Antonians,” said Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “This plan accomplishes these goals.”
The Texas Historical Commission’s denial of a permit last year to move the Cenotaph required design changes to the plan originally approved in 2018.
Last month, Mayor Nirenberg restructured the Alamo Management Committee, naming Councilmember Rebecca Viagran to the panel. He also appointed Viagran and community leader Aaronetta Pierce to join Sue Ann Pemberton as Tri-Chairs to the Alamo Citizens Advisory Committee.
The Mayor asked that amendments to the plan and lease address repurposing the Woolworth and Crocket Buildings, retain parades and cultural traditions in Alamo Plaza and preserve public access to the plaza.
Today’s vote enables work on the Alamo redevelopment to move forward. The Cenotaph will be repaired and not moved, the historic footprint will not be lowered, and the Alamo Plaza will be open to the public.
“I am pleased that there is agreement among the parties. We remain committed to a path forward and are confident that together we can implement a modified plan that brings dignity and respect to this site,” said Mayor Nirenberg.