San Antonio, TX 78204
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283
CONTACT: Javier Flores, World Heritage Office
Categories: City News, World Heritage News, Missions
Categories: Mission Trails, Mission Parkway, Missions, Spanish Exploration & Colonial Era, Recreation and Heritage Tourism
The Mission San Francisco Xavier de Najera Centennial Marker is located along Mission Road, adjacent to the Riverside Golf Course. The Texas Centennial was a year-long, state-wide celebration of Texas’ one hundred years of independence from Mexico.
Categories: Mission Trails, Mission Parkway, Missions, Spanish Exploration & Colonial Era
Mission San José y San Miguel de Aguayo was founded by Father Antonio Margil de Jesus in 1720. Approval for its construction was granted in order to serve several Native American groups who would not settle at Mission San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) because they refused to live with other Native American groups already residing there.
Categories: Mission Trails, Mission Parkway, Missions, Spanish Exploration & Colonial Era, Military and Postwar Development, Recreation and Heritage Tourism
Mission San Francisco de la Espada was established in San Antonio in 1731. Like two of the area’s other Spanish Colonial-era missions, it was relocated from East Texas, where it had originally been established in 1690, to serve members of various Coahuiltican groups residing in the area.
Categories: Mission Trails, Alamo Plaza, La Villita, Missions, Spanish Exploration & Colonial Era, Mexican and Texas Republic Periods, Recreation and Heritage Tourism
The San Antonio Missions National Historical Park was established in 1978 by the United States Congress. The Park includes four of San Antonio’s Spanish Colonial-era Missions as well as associated dams, acequias and other irrigation resources, agricultural fields or labores, and recorded prehistoric and colonial period sites within the 475-acre park boundaries.
Categories: Mission Trails, Mission Parkway, Individual Historic Sites, Missions