Submitting an Application
Before submitting a request, we strongly recommend that you visit the Before Getting Started page for the following resources:
- Learn what to expect during the design review process
- Identify your assigned OHP case manager
- Review applicable design standards or guidelines
- View examples of successful application materials
Applications can be submitted to OHP in two ways:
1) Visit with the Specialist of the Day
COVID-19 UPDATE: With the safety and well-being of our customers, staff, and ultimately the community as our top priority, the OHP intake counter located at 1901 S. Alamo St. will be closed to the public until further notice. Consultation with OHP is available by dialing 210-207-0035. Until further notice, all requests should be submitted via the online portal links below.
All forms and applications may be submitted IN-PERSON at the OHP counter located on the first floor of the Cliff Morton Development and Business Center (OneStop) located at 1901 S Alamo. For walk-in consultations and application submissions, the OHP Specialist of the Day is available from 9 am - 11 am and 1 pm - 3 pm on Monday through Friday. Please plan your trip accordingly and come prepared with required application materials. To schedule a meeting with a specific staff member between regular business hours, you may contact them directly from the staff directory.
2) Online Applications Portal (PREFERRED)
For your convenience, requests for a Certificate of Appropriateness or Demolition Review may be submitted at anytime ONLINE through the Application Portal. These request types are no longer accepted via email and may only be submitted through the links below.
APPLICATIONS Portal Links
Click HERE for video instructions!
Request a COA for:
- Exterior building repairs or alterations such as a change in materials, wood replacement, or re-roof
- Additions or new construction
- Site improvements such as hardscaping, driveways, or sidewalks
- New or replacement building signage
- Demolition of a landmark of building located in a historic district
- Requests may be approved administratively by OHP staff or referred to the HDRC.
||Request a Demolition Review for:
- Review the demolition of a building that does not have a historic zoning overlay (check using the Explorer Map)
- This is a required step for anyone seeking a demolition permit
Historic assessments & Designation requests
Other Application Types & Supplement Forms
Applications require the
following fees. If you are submitting an application through the online portal,
then OHP staff will contact you with an invoice and payment instructions to
complete your application:
Request (commercial projects only) - $100
- COA Request
(post-work violation) - $500
Review (residential projects) - $50
Review (commercial projects) - $100
- Historic Assessments - $150, $350
- Signage Review - $100
- COMPLETE FEE SCHEDULE
There is no application fee for residential
Certificate of Appropriateness applications (residential construction projects
consisting of 8 units or more are considered commercial).
Demolition fees are based on
the approved replacement plan square footage. A full schedule of permit fees is available here.
Work started prior to receiving a Certificate of Appropriateness is subject to a $500 post-work application fee.