In 2017, Councilman Roberto Treviño initiated a Council Consideration request in response to demolition penalties and neighborhood concerns in San Antonio. One of the recommendations from the Council Committee was for the Office of Historic Preservation (OHP) to further explore deconstruction as an alternative to traditional demolition. Deconstruction refers to the systematic disassembly of a structure in the opposite order it was constructed to maximize salvage of material for reuse.
Broad goals of this initiative include:
- Develop and sustain a local workforce in construction, heritage trades, and deconstruction
- Increase the availability of high quality and affordable salvaged materials
- Address important environmental considerations, including the reduction of carbon emissions, reduction of raw material and water consumption, reduction of airborne toxic pollutants associated with demolition, and reduction of construction waste
- Encourage neighborhood continuity and develop a local circular economy
- Achieve citywide sustainability goals
Please use this page a resource; the tabs below will be updated throughout the process.
Si prefiere recibir esta información en español o tiene alguna inquietud, llame al 210.207.0035 o envíe un correo electrónico a SA Preservation.