The River Road Historic District is a neighborhood comprised of multiple plats dating from 1913 through approximately 1950. The majority of the area was platted in the 1920s, and most of the housing stock is reflective of the time period. The historic district is bounded by Allison Road and Trail on the north, E. Craig Place on the south, River Road and the San Antonio River on the east, and U.S. Hwy 281 on the west.
Developer H.J. Allen platted the area known as "Belmont Place by the River" in 1913, which included Armour Place, McKinney Place (now Woodlawn Avenue), E. Craig Place, and Preston Street (now Lindell Place). Many homes had been constructed within this area by 1927. Records indicate that three homes were constructed by 1929 on Lindell Place. Magnolia Place was platted in 1929 and included Magnolia Avenue,Magnolia Drive, and portions of Ostrom Drive, Lindell Place, and Dewberry.
The quiet, secluded neighborhood, tucked between the San Antonio River, the interstate, and the Brackenridge Park Golf Course, is characterized by narrow, winding, tree-shaded streets and a distinctive collection of early 20th century residences. The homes include Bungalows, Tudor Revival cottages, minimal traditional houses, and other eclectic styles.
Two particular residences of distinction include the Zambrano House at 104 Anastacia and a two-story home at 120 Anastacia. The Zambrano House is an eighteenth-century rammed earth house built by early landowner Macario Zambrano. One of his sons, Juan Manuel stifled the Casas Rebellion in 1811 and later fought at the battle of Medina River in 1813. Two other sons of Zambrano were Jose Maria, the first Alcalde and judge, and Jose Dario, who was the parish priest at San Fernando Cathedral during the Texas War for Independence. The Zambrano House is a state Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (RTHL) and a local individual landmark (information from RTHL Marker Zambrano House, available at Texas Historical Commission). The house at 120 Anastacia was the former main building of the River Road Country Day School that was established on the site by Hetty S. Brown and operated in the early decades of the 20th century.
River Road is San Antonio’s 26th local historic district.