The Westfort Historic District includes the residential properties on Army and Brahan Boulevards. The name Westfort is a modern nickname for the neighborhood, related to its location at the western edge of Fort Sam Houston. The district contains two plats: the first, Army Terrace, subdivided in 1909 by John H Kirkpatrick; and the second, Narcissa Place, subdivided in 1909 by E.H. Cunningham. Kirkpatrick was a well-known citizen of San Antonio, and in addition to his real estate business he practiced law, served as a local and state elected official, and traveled extensively. Cunningham named his subdivision and its main thoroughfare for his wife, Narcissa Brahan, and named the mid-block north-south connector after his brother-in-law, Haywood. He came to Bexar County from Arkansas with his brother John in the 1850s and purchased a large ranch near St. Hedwig, where he lived and owned several enslaved people. He was a veteran of the Confederacy, serving as a captain in Hood’s Brigade (4th Texas Cavalry) and later on General Lee’s staff as assistant inspector general, and after the war purchased a sugar plantation in Ft Bend County that would eventually become the Imperial Sugar Company. The Cunninghams, who lived on Brahan Blvd before moving into a larger home on Grayson, donated the land for the West Texas Military Academy’s original Government Hill campus (known today as the Texas Military Institute).
Army Terrace and Narcissa Place attracted prominent residents in the 1910s. Homes for C.T. Boelhauwe, local architect, Frank Scobey, director of the US Mint, and Gutzon Borglum, nationally renowned sculptor, were all located on Brahan Blvd. The neighborhood later transitioned to predominantly rentals for military personnel stationed at Fort Sam Houston and their families.
The architectural styles represented in the Westfort Historic District vary from Prairie Style and Craftsman to Mission Revival and Spanish Eclectic. The eclectic collection reflects the development of the neighborhood over many decades. Many of the homes are two-story with substantial porches situated on large lots with deep setbacks. Architects working in the neighborhood included Harvey Page, W.N. Hagy, David A. Lown, and Beverly Spillman.
City Council approved the designation of the Westfort Historic District in 2018 as the 30th local historic district in San Antonio!