The Ambassador Summer Internship Program is an internship program for currently enrolled college students sponsored by the City of San Antonio. The program exposes students to professional opportunities and innovative career paths through paid internships, Peer-to-Peer networking sessions, and community service projects. Program participants are placed with government entities, non-profit agencies, and private organizations to gain experience in high-demand occupations in an effort to attract San Antonio’s graduating professionals to career opportunities within the local community.
The Ambassador Summer Internship Program was launched in the summer of 2004 through an initiative presented by then-District 7 Councilman Julián Castro. The program received the Texas Workforce Innovation Award in 2005. An average of 120 Ambassador Interns are enrolled and placed in internship positions each year from a variety of participating local, state and nationwide colleges and universities.
To apply for an Ambassador Internship, applicants must meet all of the criteria below:
- Must have completed at least one full year (two semesters) of college.
- Must be currently enrolled in college.
- Must be a San Antonio high school graduate or enrolled in a college/university in San Antonio.
- Must be a permanent resident of the City of San Antonio.
- Must demonstrate and maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average (GPA).
- Submit completed application (including attachments) via the application link that will be provided.
- Submit college transcripts showing completion of two (2) full semesters and a GPA of at least 2.5.
- Submit proof of San Antonio residence (copy of a utility bill or mortgage/lease).
- Submit current résumé.
- Experience cannot be substituted for any of the program requirements.
Please visit us in January 2021 for the new application deadline information.
- Apply for the 2020 Ambassador Program.
- Priority deadline: February 23, 2020
- Early notification of acceptance
- Early notification of Internship Placement
- Priority placement based on applicants interest with preferred employer partners
- Up to 100 priority placements available
- Final deadline: March 29, 2020
- Students will be accepted based on employer availability
- Students who apply by the priority deadline will also be reviewed at the final deadline
- Applicants selected for this position will not be considered or hired as City of San Antonio Employees. Instead, they will be considered contracted interns with their assigned employer partner(s).
- Applicants selected to participate in the City of San Antonio Ambassador Summer Internship Program must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
Host an Ambassador Intern by Becoming an Employer Partner
Become an Employer partner today! If you are interested in hosting an internship opportunity for qualified college students participating in the City’s Ambassador Program, please contact Angel Lerma at 210.207.5843.
Become an Employer partner today! If you are interested in hosting an internship opportunity for qualified college students participating in the City’s Ambassador Program, please contact the Ambassador Summer Internship Program.
What are Students Expecting from an Ambassador Internship Opportunity?
- To explore private, non-profit, and government jobs by working for one our our employer partners for up to 30 hours per week.
- To gain technical and professional experience by providing support for work assignments.
- To build social/professional networks with employers and peers.
- To have flexible schedules that will allow for participation in Ambassador Summer Internship Program Peer-to-Peer sessions and community service projects.
What are Students Expecting from an Employer Partner?
- To assign work schedules up to 30/hrs per week
- To provide support for work assignments
- To approve college requested internship verifications and documents
- To approve Ambassador Summer Internship Program time sheets
- To complete end of program evaluations
Ambassador Summer Internship Alumni Program
The Ambassador Summer Internship Program is seeking program Alumni!
If you participated in the Ambassador Program from 2004 through 2017 we invite you to join the Alumni Program! Our goal is to keep you connected to resources, city-wide updates, job opportunities, and networking events right here in San Antonio. To learn more and sign-up for upcoming events please contact the Ambassador Internship Program.