The Ambassador Summer Internship Program is an internship program for currently enrolled college students sponsored by the City of San Antonio. The program exposes students to professional opportunities and innovative career paths through paid internships, Peer-to-Peer networking sessions, and community service projects. Program participants are placed with government entities, non-profit agencies, and private organizations to gain experience in high-demand occupations in an effort to attract San Antonio’s graduating professionals to career opportunities within the local community.
The Ambassador Summer Internship Program was launched in the summer of 2004 through an initiative presented by then-District 7 Councilman Julián Castro. The program received the Texas Workforce Innovation Award in 2005. An average of 120 Ambassador Interns are enrolled and placed in internship positions each year from a variety of participating local, state and nationwide colleges and universities.
To apply for an Ambassador Internship, applicants must meet all of the criteria below:
- Have already completed at least one full year (two semesters) of college and be currently enrolled
- Be a San Antonio high school graduate or enrolled in a college/university in San Antonio
- Be a permanent resident of the City of San Antonio
- Demonstrate and maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average or better
- Submit completed application (including attachments) via the link provided by the deadline: April 15, 2018.
- Submit proof of residence (utility bill or copy of mortgage/lease)
- Submit current official or unofficial college or university transcript with at least a 2.5 GPA
- Submit current résumé
- Submit a minimum 250 word essay stating why you would like to participate in the Ambassador Program and include a description of your career goals.
The application period for the 2018 program has closed. Please visit this website for future updates.
HOST AN AMBASSADOR INTERN BY BECOMING AN EMPLOYER PARTNER
Become an Employer partner today! If you are interested in hosting an internship opportunity for qualified college students participating in the City’s Ambassador Program, please contact Angel Lerma at email@example.com or 210-207-5843.
WHAT ARE STUDENTS EXPECTING FROM AN ambassador INTERNSHIP opportunity?
- To explore private, non-profit and government jobs
- To gain technical and professional experience
- To build social/professional networks with employers and peers
- To have flexible schedules that will allow them to participate in Ambassador Summer Internship Program Peer-to-Peer sessions and community service projects
WHAT ARE STUDENTS EXPECTING FROM AN EMPLOYER PARTNER?
- To assign work schedules up to 25/hrs per week
- To provide support for work assignments
- To approve college requested internship verifications and documents
- To approve Ambassador Summer Internship Program time sheets
- To complete end of program evaluations
AMBASSADOR SUMMER INTERNSHIP ALUMNI PROGRAM
The Ambassador Summer Internship Program is seeking program Alumni!
If you participated in the Ambassador Program from 2004 through 2017 we invite you to join the Alumni Program! Our goal is to keep you connected to resources, city-wide updates, job opportunities, and networking events right here in San Antonio. To learn more and sign-up for upcoming events please contact firstname.lastname@example.org