Sponsored by the City of San Antonio Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission
Each year, as part of its celebration and focus on youth and education, the MLK, Jr. Commission administers a Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Program. These scholarships help to fund a portion of the college tuition of several deserving students, regardless of race or ethnicity. Each year, the MLK, Jr. Commission gives thousands of dollars in scholarships, thanks to the support of its many partners. This ceremony will be held in Spring 2015. Application and information on the 2015 MLK Jr., Scholarship are available at www.sanantonio.gov/mlk. Deadline to submit applications has been extended. Completed applications and required documentation must be postmarked by Friday, Feb. 27, 2015.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a graduating senior from a Bexar County school
- Be of good moral character
- Provide evidence of scholastic achievement
- Attend college following graduation
- Be a Bexar County resident for one year and a U.S. Citizen
- Be able to provide a letter of acceptance or financial statement for the first year in college
- Documentation must include verification of having passed a state mandated test or equivalent school requirements indicating the student will graduate this academic year
- Applications may be done online or be printed from the City’s website at www.sanantonio.gov/mlk.
- Complete the application, including the required essay. Complete all items. Do not leave any blanks. If any item is not applicable, write N/A, or if none, write “none.” After printing the completed application, sign the printed copy on the signature line provided.
- Include two letters of recommendation. The letters must be written by one of the following: a) Counselor or teacher of an academic course b) Your employer, clergy person or extra-curricular sponsor (Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, pep squad sponsor, etc.)
- Submit an official high school transcript through midterm of the 2014-2015 school year and attach a report of courses in progress. Please ask the school to remove SS# from any documents submitted on the applicant’s behalf.
- If mailing application, please do not staple items together. Use only paperclips to fasten. Mail the completed, printed application along with all required documentation, including the transcript, courses in progress report, and the letters of recommendation to:
- MLK, Jr. Scholarship Program
ATTN: Gloria Villela-Santillan, MLK, Jr. Staff Liaison
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283-3966
- Instead of mailing, application can be emailed (as a scanned digital image attachment with signature), along with digital images of the other required documentation to:
MLK@sanantonio.gov (Use “MLK, Jr. Scholarship Application” as the Subject)
- Interviews will be conducted with all finalists.
- Interviews with finalists will be scheduled by the MLK, Jr. Commission Scholarship Committee. Finalists will be contacted about the interview date and time.
For more information, contact Dorothy Collins, Committee Chair, at (210) 532-4497 / (210) 863-0053, or Mimi Hudspeth, Co-Chair, (210) 863-6464.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Completed applications and required documentation must be postmarked by Friday, Feb. 27, 2015.
Scholarship Application Form
You can fill out the scholarship application form online and either submit it
electronically or send it through the mail.
Use the Print button on the online application to make a copy for your records.
The community can help support students in achieving their higher education goals. Donations for the scholarship fund are accepted from the public and can be mailed to:
City of San Antonio MLK Commission
Attn: Gloria Villela-Santillan
City Manager's Office
PO Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283
Please make checks payable to City of San Antonio MLK Commission Scholarship.