Sponsored by the City of San Antonio Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission
Each year, as part of its celebration and focus on youth and education, the MLK, Jr. Commission administers a Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Program. These scholarships help to fund a portion of the college tuition of several deserving students, regardless of race or ethnicity. Each year, the MLK, Jr. Commission gives thousands of dollars in scholarships, thanks to the support of its many partners. This ceremony will be held in Spring 2016.
To be eligible an applicant must:
- Be a graduating senior from a school in Bexar County
- Be a Bexar County resident for one year and a U.S. Citizen
- Have a minimum, cumulative GPA of 2.5 or equivalent
- Scholarship applications must be completed and submited online.
Complete the application, including the required essay. Complete all items. Do not leave any blanks. If any item is not applicable, write N/A, or if none, write “none.”
Include two letters of recommendation. The letters must be written by one of the following:
a. Counselor or teacher of an academic course.
b. Your employer, clergy person or extra-curricular sponsor (Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, pep squad sponsor, etc.)
- Submit an official high school transcript through midterm of the 2015-2016 school year. Please ask the school to remove the student’s SSN from any documents submitted. Transcripts should be mailed directly from the school to the following address:
MLK, Jr. Scholarship Program
ATTN: Gloria Villela-Santillan, MLK, Jr. Staff Liaison
P.O. Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283-3966
- Interviews will be conducted with all finalists.
- Interviews with finalists will be scheduled by the MLK Commission Scholarship Committee. Finalists will be contacted about the interview date and time.
- A complete application submission must include the following:
a. Completed MLK Scholarship Application form
b. Two letters of recommendation
c. Official transcript
*Items a and b must be submitted together electronically. Only official transcript may be mailed in.
For more information, contact Gloria Villela-Santillan, MLK Staff Liaison, at MLK@sanantonio.gov.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 4 p.m. on Friday, February 26, 2016. Applications will not be accepted after this date. Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
The community can help support students in achieving their higher education goals. Donations for the scholarship fund are accepted from the public and can be mailed to:
City of San Antonio MLK Commission
Attn: Gloria Villela-Santillan
City Manager's Office
PO Box 839966
San Antonio, TX 78283
Please make checks payable to City of San Antonio MLK Commission Scholarship.
Donations can also be made by credit card.