Fair Housing/COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Program

Rental/Mortgage Assistance

San Antonio Residents: San Antonio residents experiencing an emergency and hardship, please submit your request for assistance. View program assistance and income guidelines here.

Bexar County Residents: Monies from Bexar County were approved by City Council on January 21st for rental assistance for Bexar County Residents. View program assistance and income guidelines here. At this time, program guidelines all for monies to be used for rental assistance only.

Residents with Eviction Notice: Please find information about eviction help here.

Residents Outside Bexar County & City of San Antonio: If you live outside of Bexar County, please check with your local government to see what programs and referrals they can offer or contact the Alamo Service Connection (ASC) at www.askasc.org, via email at info@askasc.org, or by phone at (210) 477-3275. ASC is operated by the Alamo Area Council of Governments (AACOG.)

State Assistance: The Texas Rent Relief Program has emergency funds available to help Texas renters pay rent and utility bills (including past due rent and utilities). More information can be found at texasrentrelief.com. If you need assistance completing an application, customer service staff can complete the application with you by phone by calling 1-833-9TX-RENT (1-833-989-7368) Monday - Saturday from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm CST.

If you have already applied for assistance, click here to find out the status of your application. Please do not submit more than one request for assistance. 

NOTICE: The online application will ask you to upload digital copies of required documents. Click here for a list of documents required for assistance.

Additional documents that may be needed for your application include:

Asistencia de renta y hipoteca

Residentes de San Antonio: Los residentes de San Antonio que estén experimentando una emergencia y dificultades, envíen su solicitud de asistencia. Vea la asistencia del programa y las directrices de ingresos aquí.

Residentes del Condado de Bexar: El 21 de enero, el Consejo de la Ciudad aprobó los fondos del Condado de Bexar para asistencia para la renta para los Residentes del Condado de Bexar. Vea la asistencia del programa y las directrices de ingresos aquí. En este momento, las directrices del programa son todas para que los fondos se utilicen solo para asistencia para la renta.

Residentes con Aviso de Desalojo: Encuentre información sobre ayuda para el desalojo aquí.

Si vive fuera del Condado de Bexar, consulte con sus autoridades locales para informarse sobre los programas y referencias que le pueden ofrecer o comuníquese con Alamo Service Connection (ASC) en www.askasc.org, por correo electrónico a info@askasc.org, o por teléfono al (210)477-3275.  ASC es administrado por el Consejo de Gobiernos del Área del Alamo (AACOG.)

Su solicitud por internet no garantiza asistencia. No envíe más de una solicitud de asistencia. Le responderemos por correo electrónico. Asegúrese de revisar su cuenta de correo electrónico con frecuencia.

La aplicación en línea le pedirá que cargue copias digitales de los documentos requeridos. Haga clic aquí para obtener una lista de los documentos necesarios para recibir asistencia.

Los documentos adicionales necesarios para su aplicación incluyen: 

Legal Assistance

Apply here for the City of San Antonio’s Right to Counsel Pilot Program

  • Free Legal Aid for those experiencing housing issues who income qualify
  • Attorney services available on request for those in need Call 210-207-5910 or fill out the online assessment here. 

CDC Eviction Moratorium

Questions about your rights under the CDC Moratorium? Texas RioGrande Legal Aid has created a short video in English and Spanish to answer your questions.

Landlord Information

Tenants may be eligible for Emergency Housing Assistance to pay rent and mortgage. Payments will be made directly to landlords/leasing offices. To be paid by the City, landlords should be registered as City vendors. Landlords should complete the following

When documents are completed, landlords should email the forms to Vendors@sanantonio.gov.

For assistance, please contact the Finance Department’s Vendor Support team online or by calling 210.207.0118. City staff are available by phone Monday-Friday, 7:45 am – 4:30 pm (if no answer, please leave a voice message, and someone will call you back - in many instances on the same day).

Landlord Resources

Attention Landlords: Effective July 25, 2020, a Notice of Tenants' Rights is required to be served with a Notice to Vacate issued in the City of San Antonio. The Notice provides resources and information for the tenants. 

View Additional Resources for Landlords and Property Managers.


The goal of the Fair Housing/ Housing Counseling Program is to help residents maintain housing stability, which is key to family well-being. The program is a Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counseling agency. The Fair Housing Program provides the following services to rental tenants, homeowners and landlords:

  • Tenant and landlord mediation
  • Default counseling to homeowners
  • Housing Discrimination Complaints
  • Referrals and community outreach
  • Rent/Mortgage & Utility Assistance

Refer to the Fair Housing Guide for more information.


Resident Relocation Assistance Program (RRAP). This assistance is to provide relocation assistance to households impacted by redevelopment, rehabilitation, or a code enforcement action against the owner of the multifamily development or mobile home park in which they reside. The policy also provides relocation assistance for households who experience at least 5% increase in rental housing cost, resulting in the dwelling unit being unaffordable to the household.

Rent/Mortgage & Utility Assistance Process
  1. Household possess Court Order Eviction/ Notice to Vacate/Delinquency Mortgage Notice/ Increase in rent (arrears rent/mortgage)
  2. Household Hardship (documentation will be required)
  3. Submit application & documents in person to the Fair Housing Program at 1400 S. Flores St, San Antonio, Texas 78204
  4. Staff will review documents and schedule intake appointment date and time
  5. Staff will notify you and landlord/mortgage company of eligibility and assistance amount at intake appointment

***Assistance is based on funding availability, income eligibility, and hardship.
***Payment process to landlord/mortgage company can be 5-7 business days from completed intake appointment.

Mediation, Counseling & Outreach

Tenant/Landlord Mediation

HUD Certified housing counselors are trained to resolve disputes between residential tenants and landlords. Counselors are available to provide clarification regarding the legal rights and obligations of tenants and landlords as governed by chapters 91, 92 and 94 of the Texas Property Code

Counselors can discuss concerns involving evictions, repairs, security deposits, utilities billing and termination, code violations, lease disputes, occupancy standards and other related issues. Counselors are not attorneys and do not provide legal advice. 

Telephone counseling is available free of charge. 

Legal Advice Links

Please contact us at 210.207.5910 for more information.

the Eviction Process and Notice of Rights:

The Notice to Vacate: Your eviction process will start when you receive a Notice to Vacate. The landlord or the landlord’s agent will deliver this to you personally or to a person that is living with you. You should also receive the Notice of Tenants' Rights advising you of your rights and resources.  If you are not home, this notice frequently taped to the main door of the property. The notice will usually contain a stated reason for the eviction, a delivery date and a notice when to vacate the property. The notice generally demands that you leave the property within 3 days. You do not have to leave the property by the date indicated. This is an attempt to have you vacate the property. However, it is in your best interest to vacate before the landlord files for an eviction hearing. At that point, you will be required to attend and it will negatively affect your credit record and rental history.

The Eviction Hearing: Although you are not required to leave by the date on the notice, your failure to leave will probably result in the landlord filing an eviction suit against you. The suit is an effort by the landlord to obtain a Forcible Entry and Detainer. It is a lawsuit whereby the landlord seeks to obtain a court order requiring you to leave the premises. Your court hearing will generally be 6—10 days from the delivery date. If you miss the court hearing, you will lose by default and your rental history and credit will be damaged. If the landlord is seeking to evict you because of rent delinquency, the judge will most likely order the eviction. If rent is withheld, it should be in the form of a money order dated for the day the rent is due. However, it is not recommended that you withhold rent.

If the judge grants the eviction, you will have 5 days to vacate the property before the landlord and constable can remove all your possessions. If you feel the need to appeal, you may do so within 5 days of the eviction hearing. The appeals process is complex and will require an attorney and a deposit to the court in the amount of one month’s rent. If you have the landlord’s consent to pay late and that an eviction will not occur, make sure to get that agreement in writing.

Rental & Financial Assistance

Alamo Area Resource Center 358-9995
Bexar County Community Resources 335-3666
Bexar County Housing Authority (rent & utilities) 225-0071
Catholic Charities – Crisis Intervention Program (utilities only) 226-6171
Christian Assistance Ministry (CAM) 223-4099
City of San Antonio 207-7830
Ella Austin Community Center 224-2351
Salvation Army – Social Services 352-2020
San Antonio AIDS Foundation (tenant-based rental assistance) 225-4715
Alamo Area Resource Center 358-9995
SAMMinistries apply online: www.samm.org/get-help
SAWS Project Agua (water utility only) 207-7830
St. PJ’s Children’s Home (must have disability) 531-8555
St. Vincent de Paul (utilities, rent, funeral arrangements & medication) 225-7837
Texas Diaper Bank (free diapers, formula gap service, food assistance) 731-8118

Default Mortgage Counseling

The Fair Housing Program provides counseling to homeowners who are delinquent on their mortgage payments. Counselors interview clients to determine the causes of the default and to review clients’ budgets. Counselors suggest various options available to the homeowner. HUD Certified counselors are available to assist delinquent clients in submitting workout applications to their lenders.

Related Links

Please contact us at 210.207.5910 to speak to a certified HUD Housing Counselor.

Please note that the City does not have mortgage assistance; however, a Housing Counselor can provide you guidance on contacting your mortgage provider and requesting loan options to bring your account current.

Online Request Form

Community Outreach

The Fair Housing Program is involved in community fairs and provides educational presentations on many topics, including the following: 

  • Fair Housing laws
  • tenant/landlord rights
  • financial literacy and 
  • scam activities

Please call to (210) 207-5910 to schedule an appointment.

Housing Counseling Program Description


This program provides counseling to consumers on seeking, financing, maintaining, renting, or owning a home. The program also addresses homelessness through counseling and assists homeowners in need of foreclosure assistance.


The Housing Counseling Assistance Program enables anyone who wants to (or already does) rent or own housing-whether through a HUD program, a Veterans Affairs program, other Federal programs, a State or local program, or the regular private market-to get the counseling they need to make their rent or mortgage payments and to be a responsible tenant or owner in other ways. The counseling is provided by HUD-approved housing counseling agencies.

Type of Assistance

HUD awards grants to HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies and State Housing Finance Agencies through a competitive process.

Eligible Grantees

Only HUD-approved housing counseling agencies and State Housing Finance Agencies are eligible to apply for Housing Counseling grants. To become HUD-approved, an agency must contact the HUD Office of Housing Counseling to confer about the agency's eligibility and submit an application for approval. Grantees must file quarterly invoices, mid-term performance reports, and a final report. The HUD Office of Housing Counseling reviews the performance of each agency to evaluate whether the agency can keep its HUD approved status.

Eligible Customers

Individuals, families, or groups who are tenants, homeowners, homeless, or homebuyers, may receive counseling from HUD-approved and HUD funded housing counseling agencies.

Eligible Activities

Eligible housing counseling activities can include: rental, default, homeownership, homeless and reverse mortgage counseling for senior homeowners.


Applicants for grants from this program must be HUD-approved counseling agencies. HUD publishes it's Housing Counseling Notice Of Funding Availability (NOFA) in the Federal Register and on its Funds Available web page. To apply, the agency must use the Grants.gov electronic application system. HUD evaluates applications and issues grant agreements to successful applicants. Applicants may appeal a grant denial or amount to HUD.

Funding Status

HUD pays only part of the costs of an agency's counseling activities, so grantees need to leverage their HUD grant with funding from other resources.

Technical Guidance

This program is authorized by Section 106 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968, as amended (12 U.S.C. 1701x). No program regulations have been issued; the program is guided by the Housing Counseling Program Handbook (HUD Handbook 7610.1 REV-5). The program is administered by HUD's Office of Housing Counseling - Federal Housing Administration.


Haven for Hope (Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm) 1 Haven for Hope Way, 78207
American GI Forum
(Mon, Wed, Fri 8:30am-11:00am)
611 N. Flores St, Suite 200, 78205
American GI Forum
(Mon, Wed, Fri 8:30am-11:00am)
206 San Pedro, 78205
Catholic Worker House
(Wednesday 8:00am-11:00am)
626 Nolan St, 78202
San Antonio Public Library
(Thursday 9:00am-1:00pm)
600 Soledad St (2nd Floor), 78205
Agape Ministry (First and Third Thursday of the month
127 Lanark Dr, 78218


Haven for Hope 1 Haven for Hope Way, 78207 (210) 220-2100
Battered Women’s Shelter (women/single mothers only) 7911 Broadway, 78209 (210) 733-8810
Salvation Army Hope Center (women, fathers, single mothers ) 515 W. Elmira, 78212 (210) 352-2046
Salvation Army Dave Coy Center (men only) 226 Nolan, 78202 (210) 226-2291
Guadalupe Home (pregnant women/women with children <1yr old) 1223 S. Trinity, 78207 (210) 476-0707
Strong Foundation Ministries (families only) 414 N. Hackberry St, 78202 (210) 641-4357
Living Stones (men only) 1306 N. Hackberry, 78202 (210) 472-1415
San Antonio Rescue Mission (men only) 907 E. Quincy St, 78215 (210) 222-9736
Boysville 8555 E. Loop 1604, 78109 (210) 659-5275
George Gervin (girls 12-17) 511 Yucca St, 78220 (210) 532-3948
St. Jude’s Children’s Ranch 652 Old Bear Creek (830) 629-0659
The Bridge Shelter 3103 W. Ave, 78213 (210) 340-7933
The Children’s Shelter 2939 W. Woodlawn, 78228 (210) 212-2500
American G.I. Forum – NVOP SSVF (Veterans Only) 206 San Pedro, 78205 (210) 447-0120
Endeavors Inc. SSVF (Veterans Only) 8401 Datapoint Dr, Ste 500, 78229 (210) 431-6466
Endeavors Inc. Fairweather Lodge (single adults w/ mental health diagnosis) (210) 208-5700
HUD VASH (veterans only) (210) 616-9915 (option 1)
Salvation Army Permanent Supportive Housing (Scattered Sites) 910 N. Flores, San Antonio, TX 78212 (210) 352-2046
San Antonio Housing Authority 818 S Flores St, 78204 (210) 477-6262
SAMM Ministries

Fair Housing discrimination complaints

Collapse All Expand All

Under Federal law, discrimination occurs when an individual is provided different or unequal treatment in housing situations because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, familial status or disability. The City of San Antonio also prohibits discrimination based on an individual’s veterans status, sexual orientation or how the individual’s gender identity.

It is unlawful for any person, including, but not limited to, owners, landlords, agents, real estate brokers, real estate salespersons, trustees, mortgagors, financial institution, title companies and/or insurance companies to: 

  • Discriminate against any person in the sale, lease, rental or any other condition involving housing. Also, to discriminate in the extension of mortgage loans, insurance or any other services related to the financing and/or transfer of interest in any dwelling. 
  • Discriminate in the terms, conditions or privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling. Print, publish or advertise sale or rental of a dwelling which indicates preference, limitations or discrimination. 
  • Represent to any person that a house is not available for inspection, sale or rental, when such a house is, in fact available. Induce, or attempt to induce, for profit, any person to sell or rent a house by representation regarding the entry or prospective entry into the neighborhood of a person or persons of a particular race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
  • An apartment manager takes your lease application and you are never contacted.
  • You are told that only married couples can purchase the unit.
  • A vacancy sign appears in the window, you and your child go into the office to inquire, but the manager tells you there are no longer any units available.
  • Even though there are multiple vacancies at a complex, management tells you that you cannot move in right away and are placed on a waiting list, but your friend is told they can move in right away.
  • Your rental deposit and/or monthly rent are a higher amount than that of other tenants.
  • You are directed away from a neighborhood because “the neighbors might not be friendly” .
  • An Ad in the paper continues to appear after you were told that it was rented.
  • You are told a higher selling price for a home than what was advertised, or what you hear others being told.
  • Your real estate agent only shows you homes on certain parts of towns.
  • A Mortgage Company or bank of your choice refuses to approve a loan even though you qualify.

The City of San Antonio Fair Housing/Housing Counseling Program is responsible for investigating violations of city and federal fair housing laws. The program assists area residents in need of information regarding their housing rights and in the resolution of housing related discrimination complaints. 

An initial informal method of resolving a housing discrimination complaint is used to attempt to reach a solution and resolve the disagreement as quickly and as fairly as possible. For any case where informal resolution is not possible, the City of San Antonio will refer the complaint directly to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for further investigative action.File a discrimination complaint

To file a claim, call or visit the city of San Antonio’s Fair Housing Program office or use the online Housing Discrimination form. Please contact us at 210.207.5910 for more information.

View the Office of Equity Non-Discrimination Ordinance

Housing Logo
Hours of Operation & Contact Information
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: 210.207.5910