The City of San Antonio’s “Think Before You Print” campaign has reinforced its commitment to sustainability with a year-long effort with a goal of cutting printing and paper use by 10% across all City departments. The campaign, which began on October 1, 2013, is just one of many initiatives the City of San Antonio is conducting to support sustainability.
In an organization the size of the City of San Antonio with over 10,000+ employees – a 10% reduction is significant. The organization is estimated to use roughly 330,000 pounds of paper a year or 33 million sheets of paper in its various activities. This accumulates to approximately 66,000 reams of paper stacked about two and a half miles high.
In order to meet the City’s unified goal of 10%, all City departments are asked to reliably and responsibly follow these policies:
- Two-sided copies will be the standard for all City correspondence and documents.
- PowerPoint presentations will be reproduced double-sided with a minimum of two slides on each page.
- Printing in black and white is to be done to the maximum extent practicable.
- All standard city forms are to be reduced and double-sided.
- Forms and documents are to be transmitted by email as much as possible.